To a
daughter he said,
Sing.
She said,
I have no time.
He said— Sing.
She said, I have no notes.
He said— Sing.
She said, My voice is weak.
He said— Sing.
She
whispered,
Father, they will not hear.
And he answered—
Sing.
— And, Lord,
they will not like the song.
— My child,
sing.
And
she sang,
And
few heard,
And
the world was in need of her song.
Paint.
He said,
Even now my time is full.
He said— Paint.
He said, I have no colors.
He said— Paint.
He said, My strokes are
poor.
He said— Paint.
He cried,
Father, they will pay no
attention.
He said—
Paint.
— My Lord, what
if they reject what they see?
— My child,
paint;
It matters greatly to me.
And
he put colors on canvas,
And
hardly anyone saw
(and
even less were pleased)
But
he painted all the same,
And
the world was in need of his painting.
He says to
his daughter,
Write.
I say,
There is no time.
He says— Write.
I say, I cannot find the words.
He says— Write.
I say, My form lacks rhythm and
rhyme.
He says— Write.
I whisper,
Father, they will neither hear
nor see.
He says—
Write.
— But Lord,
they may not like what they read.
And there is so much dark and
broken—
What if my words have no power;
The best I can do does not heal?
— Be still,
my child,
Do not cease to feel, think,
hear, see.
Write, my child,
And let the power belong to me.
But Moses said to the Lord, “Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.” Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.”
Exodus 4:10-12
So good to see you writing again! This speaks so much truth and as usual, made me cry.
ReplyDeletethis is so beautiful, one of your best poems yet! I love it. :)
ReplyDelete