My second hike since moving to Arizona:
My asthmatic Midwest
lungs aren’t used to the mountain-desert air.
So I wheeze along in the elation of the climb and the frustration of
breathing. I find hiding places off the
path to catch my breath, read a little; and my mind is full of phrases and
lines from poetry and Scripture which contain imagery matching the scenery around
me.
Humankind should ponder God…
recognize God’s wonders
and signs.
Let these signs and
wonders be
the firmament on which
to build,
so as not to be shaken by fear,
or distracted from the love of God.
Hildegard of Bingen
Dillard
couldn’t understand why mystics sought God on mountaintops, knowing He is fearsome
and powerful. She declared she would hide
in a cave into which only slivers of God could shine in as light through the
cracks. I think I understand the mystics’
approach more than hers.
Terrible
and beautiful and mighty though He may be, there comes a sense of desiring God’s
full presence. To have tasted bits is to
awaken the appetite, and I know enough of God that I would rather die by the
overwhelming holiness of His presence than content myself with hidden whispers,
intermittent and small enough to fit in my hands or pockets. Whatever is good in me, even by nature, is
ugly without His presence. Thus I had
rather be infused by Him fully than continue ignorant existence with most of me
and a fraction of Him.
Perhaps
I am not explaining well.
It
may be that in my finite being I simply cannot handle the infinite nature and
being of God. But I know that the
glimpses of His infinite being I have received infinitely surpass in glory any
of the finite moments of daily life. So
why would I not desire that which would pierce me and ruin me for human existence,
though I know truly that would be the cost?
The
mystics almost always considered union with God to be the end of Christianity. So perhaps there is something here.
Oswald
Chambers points out that even when we are permitted “mountaintop experiences”
there is always a descent: that Jesus came down the mountain following the
transfiguration only to be confronted by a crowd of (dirty, noisy) people and a
demon-possessed boy. John, who was with
Him and saw Him in this state of glory, seems to have gotten the point, or he
would not have written the letter we named 1 John: that if we are given such an
experience of God’s glory, we are responsible for making His presence more
visible in daily human life.
After
all, it is not as if God is somehow less present in the noise and grime of
cities and human sin. Dostoyevski was
right when he pictured God being powerfully present as a prostitute and
murderer read the raising of Lazarus together.
Or as Augustine points out, in the worst points of his sinful youth,
before he had thought of God at all, even then was the Lord faithfully present.
But
sometimes His presence in these places is harder to see—or we are not given to
recognize it until later, like the disciples on Jesus spoke with on the road to
Emmaus, or like Shasta in The Horse and
His Boy. It seems to me that martyrs
and mystics cannot serve Christ without each other. I am speaking in old-fashioned terms; often
God gives his followers moments of mountaintop clarity, glory and joy, and we
are all called to be servants. But it
seems to me that perhaps some are specially called to one role or another, and
maybe some spend a longer time receiving visions while others spend much more
time being faithful servants to messy mankind.
In this case, the one who toils and suffers reminds the mystic that
visions of glory are fulfilled most fully when directed into love for the
people God has created, people who know nothing of glory in any form. And the mystic reminds the martyr, as he
sacrifices himself daily under the burden of love, that there is a high and
beautiful vision and that God is working powerfully to accomplish this vision
through his labor.
In
Exodus 33, Moses intercedes for the people of Israel, who have turned away from
the Lord after He delivered them from slavery.
Moses pleads for the God’s presence to continue among His people. Then he asks to see God’s glory as a sign of
His presence. The Lord responds that His
glory is too great, and it would kill Moses, but He makes a great concession: “Behold,
there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, and while my glory
passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my
hand until I have passed by. Then I will
take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.”
(vv. 21-23)
This
vivid demonstration of God’s majesty occurs in the context of Moses’ pleas for
the people: His ministry and His personal encounters with God are inextricably
linked. Both flow in and out of the
other.
Dillard’s
approach to the topic interests me because in her work I see a mystic’s soul. She has an incredible capacity for wonder,
awe, and delight. Perhaps it is the
mystic in her which results in her fear of encountering God’s presence
uncloaked, because she realizes that the glory which brings her delight and
rapture in nature must be a truly terrifying force when united with holiness.
Hildegard
of Bingen did understand, I think. She
was undeniably a mystic, yet her work speaks to a unity of purpose:
Who are the prophets?
They are a royal people,
who penetrate mystery
and see with the spirit’s
eyes.
In illuminating darkness
they speak out.
They are a living,
penetrating clarity.
They are a blossom
blooming only
on the shoot that is
rooted in the
flood of light.
(Hildegard
of Bingen)
And
finally, one last tidbit from another beautiful poem:
The
infinite heights are too small to contain Thee,
Yet
perchance Thou canst niche in the clefts of me.
Shall my
heart not treasure the hope to gain Thee,
Or my yearning fail till my tongue’s last
plea?
Nay,
surely Thy name I will worship,
while breath in my nostrils be.
Solomon ibn Gabirol, translated by Israel Zangwill

This is so beautiful, I love it. Annie Dillard and Hildegard of Bingen, now that would be an interesting conversation. But you need to read St. Bernard's On Loving God too, especially how his fourth degree of loving God plays into your mystic-martyr idea.
ReplyDeleteAlso, it might be an interesting project to connect the mystic-mountaintop experience with the idea of ascent found in Augustine's Confessions, St. Bernard's fourth degree, of course Dante's Paradisio (which if you haven't read you need to) and how they all play into each other. Annie Dillard, fascinatingly enough would easily fit and L'Engle too -- i think portions of Walking on Water would definitely work. I realize this is a sort of huge research project but i think it would be fascinating. :)