Pages

Mariposa Lily

Mariposa Lily

April 14, 2013

All the things in the world to learn

There are so many things I want to learn and know, and with so many things in the world, the list could probably reach into infinity--for if God, in His infinite wisdom created the world, it would surely take infinity for created beings to see and know and understand even portions of it, much less the whole.  But here are a few I was thinking of tonight:
To tell a tree by its bark
  • I would love to study trees, and to be able to tell even 10 or 20 more by just their leaf or just their bark. I could probably only recognize 7-10 now.
  • Birds: to know them by sight or song.
  • Languages: there are so many languages in the world and I would love to learn pretty much any of them, and then too I would love to study the etymology of even just English words, because that has to be fascinating as well.  For instance, why are "wonder" and "wonder" the same word?  What does wondering about something have to do with the state of wide-eyed wonder?
  • Music: to know even 10-15 composers by their music, much less be familiar with their stories.
  • Music: to be able to play more beautiful classics on the piano.
  • Clouds: to be able to observe and predict weather patterns without studying meteorology or the internet the way they used to and probably still do in a few places.
  • The Bible: memorization is hard for me but having Scripture memorized is unequivocally rewarding and absolutely invaluable.  I would love to have, say 20 Psalms memorized; to have a full book or two in my head and heart to grow in me and shape me.
  • Poetry: I want to read more poetry; become familiar with more English-speaking/writing poets and those from other countries too, and to have some of my favorites memorized as well; to be able to recognize a writer by his work.  This could also help me learn to write different types of poetry and to write them better, too!
  • To be able to read a book in another language.
  • Tea: how do they make it from a plant growing from the ground or the garden?  What makes good tea as well as all the different kinds (red, black, green, white)? I think I would like to learn how to make my own tea.
I'm sure if I kept thinking I could continue coming up with more, but I'd say that's a list substantial enough to start with.
What is the history of tea and how is it made?

What would be on your list?

2 comments:

  1. I think this relates but one of my...worries is that there is a beautiful song out there in the world that I will never discover and never get to enjoy. I love beautiful things, sights, sounds, anything, and I stumble across so many so casually, so accidentally that I think to myself in a probably irrational moment of inspired anxiety "What if I never discovered you?! What else am I missing?!"

    I too want to learn more languages. To become fluent in Spanish and Haitian Creole, maybe even French and I cannot depart this world with trying Italian. Just like you, I'm fascinated by etymology so I would focus on Latin to help with that.

    Other things I would want to learn would be how to play the guitar, piano and drums (I'm ambitious) and how to be cook.

    I also wand to know what came first, the chicken or the egg. But I may have to wait until I reach the Promised Land for that answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's finish memorizing I John this summer while we plan your wedding! I'm with you on the bird and tree things. :) And i love memorizing poetry- you should memorize some with me.

    AND: i can teach you about composers, at least a little bit!

    i'd like to know how to arrange flowers, and how to garden. I wish I was better at sewing, that I could just sew whatever I wanted.

    and I wish that I knew and understood more about politics. Weird, I know, but seriously, I wish I understood politics better.

    ReplyDelete