First day of Thanksgiving break, I woke up to a white fog.
Now such a fog is in my brain:
Creeping, encroaching, insidious
Combined effects of heaped-up work and exhaustion.
Press nose to the glass.
The foreground is visible, if blurred.
I can see only what is in front of me.
Anything might be concealed in that white realm of mystery—
Elves, fairies, wood-nymphs dancing,
Goblins watching, lurking...but not too many.
The visible is no longer green lawn, quiet wind-chimes
Through frosted glass.
There is a mountain to climb, and I am but half-ascended.
The mysterious Beyond
Hides dragons, treacherous rivers,
Nameless, fearsome monsters.
For now I have legs to climb; how long they'll last I cannot say.
Perhaps there are flowers over the mountain-crest,
But sometimes hungry dragons eat flowers.
For now, I can see my feet
To climb upward
And keep if possible from falling.
Perhaps, come the Beyond,
I shall be able to see my sword
And perhaps there will be strength to wield it.
No comments:
Post a Comment