Pages

Mariposa Lily

Mariposa Lily

June 8, 2011

Obscurity

Some shadowy obscurity
Has darkened all I thought I knew;
Where am I,
And where are you?

I know the me of an earlier day—
Recognizing me now?—
It's harder to say.

I am unfaithful,
You are true;
I am broken,
You make things new.

You've seen the tears, the cries, the need,
The empty hands imploring you—
But where am I,
And where are you?

I think I know you pretty well
But the familiar form seems rather vague
And honestly it's hard to tell—
Who am I?
And who are you?

I miss the joy, life, and delight,
And while I know you're near
It's so hard to trust
While full of dark and wretched fears.

I need to know your love
In the very depths of my soul;
To come tenderly in
And make me wonderfully whole.

I am your bride, your love, your child,
You are the Father, the bridegroom, a mystery—
You call me your own,
You vow to be with me.

Still I feel lost and alone,
Imperfect, undone
(nothing is new,
says the cynical sun),

Unimportantly mumbling
To myself and the sky—
Who are you again?—
And who am I?

And if you see fit to answer,
Tell me, too—
Where am I?
And where are you?

1 comment: